This decadent entree can be made with duck or chicken.
- 4 duck or chicken breasts with skin
- 4-8 tablespoons duck liver mousse or other pate
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Slide fingers under skin of each duck or chicken breast to separate it from the flesh, leaving it connected on the edges.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of pate under skin of each breast, depending on its size.
- With fingers on top of skin, spread the pate to cover the flesh evenly in a thin layer.
- When all four are finish place them in a baking dish large enough to hold them with a little extra space.
- Pour the wine into the dish.
- Rub onions and mushrooms with olive oil and place in dish around duck or chicken.
- Sprinkle meat with thyme, salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake duck for 30-45 minutes, depending on desired level of doneness (should be medium).
- If using chicken, bake for 90 minutes, and wait to add the vegetables until chicken has baked for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.