- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1 x garlic clove minced
- 1 tbl butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 can low-salt chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 x cod fillets - (5 oz ea)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Tortilla strips
- Saute onions and garlic in butter in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Stir in oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes. Saute 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato liquid; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in corn kernels.
- Set cod fillets on top of broth and spoon liquid over cod. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until cod just flakes when tested with a fork.
- To serve, set each fillet in a large soup bowl. Spoon broth around cod and sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish each bowl with tortilla strips.