Sunday, August 24, 2008

Semizotu Yemegi (Turkish Purslane)

www.turkishcookbook.com

Purslane is one of my favourite vegetables and not well known in Canada. The plant has thick, small, round shaped moist leaves. The stems are especially juicy and delicious. It grows like a weed everywhere. I used to have them in my backyard, but they were smaller than they should be. Unfortunately I moved to a condo a couple years ago so I am not able to pick them up from my backyard anymore:( Recently my friend told me that she found something that looks like purslane at a Loblaws in Toronto. It was very easy to find it on the shelf with the name of Rosettes:) They smell like roses when you chew it:D

I used Rosettes instead of Purslane to cook this dish and make salads with it. Rosettes doesn't have a sour taste like Purslane does. That's why I added 1 tbsp lemon juice while I cook Purslane Dish to give the right taste.

2 servings.

Ingredients:
  • 250 gr Purslane, washed and drained
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 handful rice, washed, drained
  • 1 large tomato, peeled, cut in small pieces
  • 1-2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 tbsp crushed tomatoes, in can
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice - if you cook rosettes you should add it!
Method:
  • Cook the olive oil, green onion, rice, tomato, crushed tomato, salt and pepper in a medium sized pot until the rice is almost done over medium heat with the lid on.
  • Add the purslane, close the lid and cook for 5 more minutes over medium heat.
  • Turn the heat off and let it rest for 5 minutes.
  • Place the dish on a service plate, put one dollop of plain Turkish Yogurt on top and serve.

No comments: