30 mins plus soaking
- 175g/6oz Saltfish
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 300g/11oz chopped Tomatoes
- 3 green chillies, halved
- 1/2 teasp Freshly grated Ginger
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 2 teasp Thyme Leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped Shallot
- Place the fish in a large bowl of cold water and soak for 1 hour.
- After soaking, flake the fish into small pieces, removing any skin and bones.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the fish and fry until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reheat the oil, add the onion and sauté for a few minutes then add all the other ingredients (apart from the shallot) and cook for about 15 minutes , stirring from time to time, until mixture thickens.
- Add the fish pieces to the sauce together with 3 tablespoons water. Allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a heated serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped shallot. Serve immediately.