Yield: 4-6 servings.
- Oil 3 Tbsp
- Fish filets cut into serving portions 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
- Salt & pepper to season
- Onion chopped or sliced 1 each
- Bell peppers, red or green chopped or sliced 2 each
- Garlic minced 6-8 cloves
- Tomatoes seeded, chopped 1 cup
- Coconut milk 1/2 cups
- Garam masala or curry powder 2-3 teaspoons
- Tamarind paste or lemon juice 1-2 tablespoons
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet or pot. Sear the fish fillets on both sides and remove to a separate plate. Do not cook through.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions and peppers. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the fish filets, cover and simmer till fish is cooked through, 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, boiled cassava or chapatti.