- 675g neck of lamb
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 250g prepared shortcrust pastry
- salt and black pepper
- beaten egg to glaze
- Remove the meat from the lamb neck and chop the meat into small cubes. Add the bones to a pan along with the onion and whole parsley sprigs. Cover with water, season and boil for 90 minutes before straining the mixture and retaining the liquid
- Tip the pastry onto a floured surface and roll out. Use half to cover the base of a 1l pie dish. Add the carrots to the base and cover with the meat before adding the chopped parsley and seasonings. Wet the edge of the pastry with water, use the remaining pastry to cover and crimp the edges with a fork. Trim the excess then cut a steam hole in the centre of the pie (this should be large enough for you to insert a small funnel later). Place the pie in an oven pre-heated to 170°C and bake for about 100 minutes, or until the pie is cooked through and golden.
- When the pie is ready re-heat the stock and use a funnel to pour about 60ml of this into the pie. Serve immediately.