- 4 x 150g lamb leg steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125g finely-chopped onions
- 2 cloves finely-chopped garlic
- 50ml raspberry vinegar
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 120ml fresh orange juice
- 120ml dry white wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml water
- 125g fresh bilberries (or the same weight of blueberries plus 1 tbsp red wine vinegar)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 strips of orange peel
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to a hot pan, season the lamb leg steaks then and fry until browned on both side then set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan then fry until soft. At this stage add the raspberry vinegar and black pepper to the pan and boil until the vinegar has almost completely vanished. Now add half the bilberries, the honey, the white wine and the orange juice and the orange peel. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for five minutes. Now add the water and bring back to the boil.
- Transfer the sauce to a lidded oven-proof dish and add the lamb steaks to this. Place in a moderate oven and cook for forty minutes. Set the meat aside in a warm place, tip the sauce back into the original pan and bring to the boil. Reduce to thicken then add the remaining bilberries and continue cooking until the skins are just about to split. Spoon the sauce over the lamb steaks and serve immediately.