Recommended: King Fish, Snapper, Jack, Cutlass, Sprats, Goat Fish
- 3 lbs. fish sliced in 1/2 thick slices
- 4 teaspoons black pepper & 4 teaspoons of salt combined
- 2 or 3 limes or lemons
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper cut in strips or 1/2 teaspoon dried Tabasco pepper
- 2 cups cane or malt vinegar (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds or whole allspice
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper grains
- Wash fish thoroughly in water to which juice of the limes or lemons has been added. Dry thoroughly.
- When absolutely dry, coat the fish both sides with the combined salt and black pepper and set aside on paper towels.
- Heat oil in frying pan to boiling point and fry fish on both sides until nice and crisp. Set fish aside in a deep Pyrex dish or other bowl.
- In a saucepan combine vinegar, sliced onions, peppers, pimento seeds, whole black pepper grains, and bring to a boil. Simmer until onions are tender and remove from fire and cool. Pour over fish and leave steeping overnight.
If Sprats or Goat Fish are used, do not slice.