- 1 lb Callaloo leaves
- 1 Aubergine a/k/a eggplant, garden egg
- 2 Green bananas
- 1 Large onion
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1-1/2 pts Water
- 4 Pimento berries
- 3 Whole cloves
- 1 Sprig thyme
- 1 Hot pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb Young okra
- 1/4 pt Coconut milk
- Thoroughly wash the callaloo leaves and remove most of the stem.
- Drain and coaresly chop. Peel aubergine and chop into 2 cm dice.
- Keeping the skin on chop green bananas into thick slices.
- Put these vegetables with chopped onion and garlic in large pot.
- Add water, pimento, cloves, thyme, hot pepper fresh black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, covered until vegetables are tender.
- Take out slices of green bananas, remove skin and return to the pan.
- Remove the hot pepper which should still be whole and the thyme.
- Rub the soup through a sieve or liquidize briefly.
- Slice the okra into rounds.
- Return the soup to the pan, add the okra and coconut milk and cook for a further 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve.