- 3 cups Rendered pork fat (trimmed from or roast)
- Finely chopped onions
- 1 medium Head red cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large Apple -- grated
- 2 tablespoons White [sic] vinegar
- 1 tablespoon White sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Caraway seeds
- Render pork fat very slowly; remove "cracklings", & add enough finely chopped onion for taste and flavor. Cook until golden. Add paprika slowly, DON'T let it burn or smoke. Let cool, and store, covered in refrigerator - will keep for a long time.
- Wash the cabbage in cold water, quarter it & chop finely, salting as you go. Discard the core. Heat about 3 cups of the pork-fat/onion mixture, add about 1/2 teasp. paprika - don't let it burn.
- Add the wet, salty cabbage & stir until it's coated with fat. Add pepper to taste, grated apple, stir in; add about 2-3 tsps wine [sic] vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar.
- Rub about 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds between palms, & add to cabbage.