Ackee and saltfish is Jamaica's national dish. This recipe is Americanized but still delivers great taste.
- 1 Can of ackee, drained
- 1/2 lb boneless salt cod
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper skin finely chopped up
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 sweet pepper chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak the salt cod in a pot of water overnight to remove most of the salt. If the cod is still very salty, boil in water for 20 minutes. Drain cod and cut or break into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the onions, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper, tomato, tomato paste and green peppers. Stir for a few minutes. Add the cod. Stir. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the can of drained ackee. Do not stir because this will cause the ackees to break up. Cook for a few more minutes then sprinkle with black pepper.
- Best served with bammy, roast breadfruit, fried or cooked dumplings, or fried or cooked plantains, cooked yams and Jamaican sweet potatoes.