3 lb Shrimp (16-20/lb)
3 cup Spanish Olive Oil
4 x Large Red Bell Peppers *
8 x Cloves Garlic **
1 x Chili Pepper Seeded/Minced
1 x Loaf French Bread 1" Slices
1 x Feta Cheese (optional)
- * Bell peppers should be seeded and cut into thin julienne strips.
** Garlic cloves should be peeled and cut into 1/4-inch chunks.
- Slit the shrimp up the back with a sharp knife. Remove the vein, but do not peel shrimp.
- Set them aside. Combine 2 cups of olive oil and the red pepper strips in a deep heavy skillet or saute pan. Heat slowly. Cook very gently until the peppers are extremely tender but not at all browned. (The oil will turn a lovely rose color.) Set peppers aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into another skillet with the garlic pieces. Stew the garlic slowly for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender and golden. Scoop out the garlic with a strainer or slotted spoon and add it to the peppers. Heat the garlic oil until it ripples.
- Throw in the minced chili pepper and the shrimp.
- Saute, tossing the shrimp in the oil, until they turn pink and are just done. To serve, spoon the peppers and their oil into a serving dish. Surround with the shrimp. Serve with bread. Each diner soaks slices of bread in the oil and piles the bread with peppers and garlic. Feta cheese may be eaten with it and the shrimp goes on top.