Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ropa Vieja

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=218616

Ingredients:

2 lb skirt steak
1/2 cup olive oil
1 x onion
4 x -5 cloves of garlic
1 x green pepper, julienned
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 x bay leaf
1 can pimento
1/2 cup red wine

Method:
  • Cook the meat(I put it in a pot with onion, celery, tomato, garlic and water and make a broth with it and then take the beef out to use for Ropa Vieja or another favorite, Vaca Frita,) cool and shred. Make a sofrito with the oil, onion, garlic (mashed in a mortar with the salt is best), green pepper. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, the meat, pimento and wine. Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. If it needs more liquid, I use some of the beef broth I made with the meat.
  • Serve over white rice. According to Nitza this should serve 8 people, but with my family this does not serve 8, more like maybe 6 if I'm lucky.
  • It's really a very easy thing to make. An interesting side story about Ropa Vieja. I visited Venezuela years ago and while there I told my hosts to order for me, and order the most typical Venezuelan dish they could think of. Much to my surprise, when my meal arrived it consisted of Ropa Vieja, rice and fried ripe plantains! Little did I know that I had been eating Venezuelan food all my life.

No comments: