- 20 Large raw shrimps
- 2 cups Tempura flour
- 2 cups Iced water
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 Large zucchini (courgette), cut into strips
- 1 Red pepper (capsicum), cut into strips
- 1 Onion, cut into rings
- Oil for deep frying
- Plain or tempura flour, for coating
- Japanese sauce to serve
- Peel and devein the shrimps, leaving the tails intact.
- Cut 4 incisions in the under-section of each shrimp and straighten them out.
- Coat the shrimps lightly with flour, leaving the tail uncoated, and shake off the excess.
- In a bowl, gently mix the tempura flour, water and egg yolks and use at once (the batter will b e lumpy, don't over mix).
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok to moderately hot.
- Working with a few at a time, dip each shrimp into the batter, still leaving the tail uncoated.
- Fry briefly in the hot oil until lightly golden; remove from the pan and drain well o n paper towels.
- Repeat this process with the vegetable pieces, doing about 2 to 3 pieces at a time.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce.
- Add strips of fresh ginger to the soy sauce if you like.
Note : Tempura flour is available from specialty Asian shops, and makes the lightest tempura batter. Plain flour can be used but the batter will be slightly heavier.