Serves : 4
- 4 catfish (rub with lime juice & stand for 20 minutes)
- 2 stalks lemon grass (bruised)
- 15g polygonum leaves
- 3 dried assam slices
- 600ml oil for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons oil (for sauteing)
- 600ml water
- sugar, salt to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 2cm piece dried shrimp paste
- 2cm piece ginger
- 8 dried chillies
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the catfish till three-quarter-cooked. Set aside.
- Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil. Then saute the ground ingredients, lemon grass, polygonum leaves and assam slices till fragnant.
- Add the catfish and water, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste. Dish up and serve.