Serves : 4
- 20 chicken feets, claws cut off and chopped in half
- cooking oil for deep-frying
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeld and minced
- 2 petals star anise
- 1 heaped teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked to soften
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 375ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Marinate chicken feet with combined seasoning ingredients for at least 1 hour.
- Heat wok with oil for deep-frying until hot. Put in chicken feet and cover wok to prevent oil from splattering. Deep-frying chicken feet for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain and soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Leave 2 tablespoon of oil in wok and lightly brown shallots and garlic. Add star anise and Sichuan peppercorns and return chicken feet to wok. Toss briefly for 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture into an electric crock pot and add combined sauce ingredients. Cook on high heat for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms and continue to slow cook, stirring occasionally, for another hour or until chicken feet are tender and sauce thickens. Serve hot.