- 1 1/2 cup Dried Split peas, rinsed
- 2 1/2 qt Water
- 8 whl allspice, tie in cheesecloth
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 6 x Potatoes, large-1/2" cubes
- 6 x Carrots, chopped
- 2 x Onions, medium-chopped
- 2 cup Ham, cooked & cubed
- 1/2 x Cabbage, medium-shred
- In a large kettle, combine peas, water, allspice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, onions, ham and cabbage; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard allspice.
- Yield 16-20 servings (about 5 qt). A recipe of Maureen Ylitalo of Wahnapitae, Ontario Freezes well.