Estimated cooking and preparation time: 1 hour
- 3/4 kilo Pork, cut into chunks
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 100 grams Kangkong (river spinach)
- 100 grams String beans
- 2 pieces horse radishes, sliced
- 3 pieces gabi (taro), pealed
- 2 pieces sili pag sigang (green finger pepper)
- 200 grams sampalok (tamarind)
- 3 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)
- 1 liter of rice wash or water
- Boil sampalok in water until the shell shows cracks. Let cool then peal off the shells and with a strainer, pour samplalok (including water) into a bowl. Gently massage the sampalok meat off the seeds, strain again.
- In a pot, sauté garlic and onion then add the tomatoes. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pork and fish sauce then add the rice wash. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes then add the gabi. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes or until the pork is tender.
- Add the horse radish and simmer for 10 minutes then add the string beans, kangkong and sili (for spice-optional). Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.