Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Baked Sea Bass

http://www.rasamalaysia.com/2007/06/recipe-baked-sea-bass.html#more

What do you cook when you need to impress your guest(s)? Well, for me, I made this mouthwatering, succulent, and juicy baked sea bass that screams "I am a catch!"

A couple of weekends ago, my buddy Melting Wok came to my house. Prior to her visit, I was thinking hard about the dish I was going to make--a dish that would impress her so much that she couldn't stop ooohs and aaahs after tasting the goods. Well, I have to because S is really an excellent cook and has deep knowledge about food, for example: she can pretty much decode the composition of ingredients used by simply sniffing the food. Yes, I kid you not. If you have visited her blog, you should know that she has real talents in the cooking department. If you haven't yet checked it out, I urge you immediately click here to see how she whips up gourmet and droolsome dishes using like leftover tortilla and exotic creatures such as jellyfish...

Anyway, back to how to impress my guest. That weekend, I went to the market and picked up some fresh sea bass fillets that had just arrived at the store, marinated them with some sake, mirin (yes, my food crush with Japanese cuisine is here to stay), soy sauce for 30 minutes, and then pan seared them lightly on both sides before baking them.

The end result was simply sublime. Was S impressed, you ask? Well, we will wait for her to comment.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound sea bass (2 fillets)
  • 4 tablespoons sake
  • 1/2 teaspoon mirin
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Ginger Ponzu Sauce:
  • 5 tablespoons Kikoman Ponzu sauce
  • 1/2 inch fresh ginger (grated)
Method:
  • Marinate the sea bass with sake, mirin, and soy sauce for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
  • Pan-sear both sides of the seabass until the surface turns light brown.
  • Transfer the fish fillets to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
  • Pour the ginger ponzu sauce generously over the baked sea bass and serve hot.
Note:
The apricots served only as the backdrop of my pictures and were not used in the preparation of this dish.

No comments: