- 1lb boneless salted cod
- 2oz/60g butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 sweet pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cups 16oz/500ml tinned tomatoes or 2lbs/1kg peeled fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cups 20floz/600ml water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Boil salt fish in plenty of water for 20 minutes. If still too salty, repeat. Drain salt fish, break into wedges, check for bones and set aside.
- Heat butter and sauté the onion. When beginning to brown, add garlic, salt fish and sweet pepper and sauté for a further 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, curry powder, herbs, water, pepper sauce and black pepper and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to an hour or until tender. Salt to taste.
- If adding eggs, shell and slice them and add to the salt fish about 10 minutes before its finished cooking.