Scott Conant, executive chef Alto and L’Impero
Makes about 40 pieces.
- 1 quart chicken stock (white)
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup ramps, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, cut in quarter-inch squares
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Panko crumbs
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add semolina flour and reduce heat.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, blanch ramps and spinach.
- Shock in ice water and squeeze dry.
- In a blender, puree the semolina, ramps and spinach until a smooth paste has formed.
- Spread mixture on a sheet tray and cool. Once cool, form into small balls and insert Fontina cheese into the center.
- Coat outside of the balls with ground panko crumbs and pan fry in vegetable oil until golden brown on all sides.