*Anne's note: The nutritional analysis omit the anchovies; they would substantinally increase the sodium in the recipe
"Pan Bagnat is the name for this stuffed sandwich in Monaco and in France (where the name is hyphenated). The fillings can vary. For example, Bordeaux-born Celine Beteta Wong, who works in the office of the Consulate in New York, says she also fills her Pan Bagnat with tuna. It can be a complete meal - great for a picnic or bag lunch.
shared it with me many years ago."
- 4 x Round rolls
- 2 x Anchovies:* rinsed & chopped
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 med Onion, minced optional
- 2 sm Black olives, rinsed, pitted
- 1 x Green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 x Tomato, sliced
- 1 x Egg, hard boiled egg & chopped
- 1 tbl Vinegar
- Slice the roll in half horizontially. Remove part of the bread to allow space for the filling.
- Divide all the filling evenly among the 4 rools. Begin by drizzling the bottom of the rolls with a little oil. Drop some onion, bell pepper, tomato, egg, anchovy (if you are using it) and olives into each roll bottom (the filling maounts are personal choices).
- Season to your taste with viengar. Cover the roll with the top half. Serve cold.