Originating from the period of slavery and brought by the slaves from West Africa.
Basically simple dishes served with ingredients to make it spicy such as masusa and or with fish (cod).
Side dishes are vegetables, such as string bean or antrua.
Mixed rice with codfish is a very appetizing and diverse dish; it can be made with meat and / or shrimp.
Various peas such as black-eyed peas or vegetables as in cabbage, can also be used for those, who are vegetarian.
- 5 oz. rice
- 2½ oz. shredded codfish
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 12 tablespoons oil
- 2 stock cubes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned soy sauce
- dash of black - or white pepper
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ¾ liters coconut milk
- Heat oil; add the sliced onions.
- Also add the garlic, tomatoes, black - or white pepper and the stock cubes.
- Then add the soy sauce, the shredded codfish and stir.
- Let simmer; codfish should be light brown.
- Add the codfish and the coconut milk to the rice and stir.
- Cover the pot or rice cooker and cook.
- Serve with sliced cucumber and / or tomato.