Surinam has a long border with the tropical Atlantic and also many rivers; so fish is abundantly available, thanks to these rich fishing grounds.
This fish is prepared the Indian way with that typical Surinamese touch!
Serves 4 - 6.
- Fish filet (e.q. trout) : 2 lbs
- Large onion (diced into cubes)
- Garlic chopped (2 - 3 cloves)
- Masala powder (curry powder), 2 table spoons
- Ketchup 2 - 3 table spoons
- Sunflower oil
- Hot peppers (1 - 2)
- Sugar, half tea spoon
- First, fry the fish filet in the usual way
- Heat the oil and add the diced onion and chopped garlic
- Fry this until the onion and garlic are glazed
- Add now the masala powder, under stirring
- Add the fried fish filet, hot peppers (optional), some water (1 cup), sugar and salt (to taste)
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes