1¼ hours, 15 min prep
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3-3 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, in pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pineapple, cut in 1 inch cubes or 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- hot cooked rice (can cook concurrently so all is ready at the same time)
- Heat oil in lg skillet; cook chicken on med heat until brown on all sides-- approx 15 min.
- Remove chicken, cook onion& garlic in remaining oil until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except tomatoes (and rice!); pour over chicken.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 min.
- Add tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, until thickest pieces of chicken are cooked through-- approx 20 min.
- Serve with rice.