Yield 1 batch.
- 1/3 c Lard or oil
- 1/2 lg Yellow onion
- 1/3 c Flour
- 1 tb Paprika
- Melt 1/3 to 1/2 cup lard (or use oil or like quantity) over medium heat.
- Cut half of a large yellow onion into small pieces and simmer in the lard until transparent.
- Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup flour and stir constantly until flour is dark brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon paprika; stir into paste and pour the paste over the Cuspajs (recipe separate).
- Serve in large soup bowls and have plenty of French bread on hand.
- This is a meatless main course, serve at least once a week in Jugoslavia.
- The Zafrig is also used in boiled pinto beans with smoked ham hocks.