- 5 k (10 lbs) fresh, lean pork ham
- 1 k (2 lbs) fresh pork side
- 200 g (6 oz) salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 g (1 teaspoon) saltpeter
- 50 g (2 oz) 96% alcohol (to remove excess moisture)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pork stomach
- Chop meats, add garlic, pepper.
- Heat salt in skillet and add to meats.
- Mix well.
- Add saltpeter, sugar and alcohol.
- Mix gently.
- Stuff meat mixture tightly into prepared pigs stomach, so that no air pockets remain.
- When stuffing is complete, sew up opening and place between 2 boards and tie tightly.
- Keep in a cool, dry place for 8 to 10 days, then cold smoke, with alder wood for 3 weeks.
- Towards end of smoking, add juniper branches to give that special flavoring.