Yield 4 servings.
- 1 lb Ground meat (beef or lamb)
- 2 Med. onion
- Large handful of fresh mint
- Large handful of fresh Watercress
- 1 Egg
- Tomato paste
- Split peas
- Cook same of rice and split peas (1/2-3/4 c. each) in pan with not too much water for 5-10 min.
- Chop onion with mint and watercress.
- Add about 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 to 1/2 t. turmeric on rice, then add onions and mix with meat.
- Add 1 egg. Mix well.
- Coarsely chop 1 med onion and put in pan with a little oil and about 3 T. butter.
- Saute, then add about 1/2 t. turmeric, 3 T. tomato paste, salt (1/2 t.), and water (about 1/2 saucepan).
- Bring to a boil.
- Make palm-sized meatballs and place in boiling mixture.
- Cook about 1/2 hr.
- Serve in bowls with broth. Yogurt and pickles on the side.