Yield 6 servings.
- 2 Onion; finely sliced
- 1/3 c Oil or butter
- 1 lb Stewing meat (lamb or beef); -cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
- 3 c ;Water
- 2 lg Quinces
- 3 tb Sugar
- 1/4 c Vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 ts Ground saffron; dissolved in
- 1 tb ;Water hot
- 1/3 c Yellow split peas
- 3 c Basmati rice
- 8 c ;Water
- 2 tb Salt
- 3/4 c Butter; melted
- 1/2 ts Saffron; dissolved in
- 2 tb ;Water hot
- 2 tb Yogurt (opt)
- In large pot brown onions in 3 Tbsp. of oil or butter.
- Add meat and brown.
- Add salt pepper and cinnamon.
- Add water cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hr stirring occasionally.
- Wash but don't peel quinces.
- Use apple corer to remove seeds.
- Slice as for apple pie.
- In skillet saute in 2 Tbsp. oil or butter and set aside.
- To the meat add sugar vinegar or lemon juice saffron split peas and quince.
- Cover and simmer 35 minutes.
- Check to see that meat and fruit are cooked.
- Taste and correct seasoning.
- Transfer to deep casserole dish and keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve hot with chelo (recipe below.)
I am giving the detailed instructions for chelo.
I don't use the yogurt and I drizzle the remaining saffron over *all* the rice.
I also serve the tah dig(crust) with the rest of the rice.)
- Wash rice 5 times in cold water.
- Bring water and salt to boil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add washed and drained rice.
- Boil 6 minutes stirring gently twice to loosen grains that may have stuck to bottom.
- Drain rice in colander and rinse in lukewarm water.
- In same pot heat half the butter 2 Tbsp. hot water a drop of dissolved saffron and yogurt.
- Taking one spatula at a time place rice gently in pot mounding in the shape of a pyramid.
- Dissolve remaining butter in 2 Tbsp. hot water and pour over rice.
- Place clean dishtowel over pot and cover firmly with lid to prevent steam from escaping.
- Cook 10 minutes over medium heat and 50 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool 5 minutes on a damp surface without removing lid.
- Put 2 Tbsp. of the rice in with remaining saffron and set aside for garnish.
- Gently remove rice from pot without disturbing crust.
- Sprinkle saffron flavored rice over top and serve.
- Detach crust and serve separately.