- 1 k (2 lbs) rabbit meat, cut into medium pieces
- 200 g (3/4 cup) bacon, sliced
- 50 g (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs; 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- seasonings, pepper, 10 juniper berries, 1 teaspoon caraway seed, salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste
- Cook marinade, cool and soak rabbit pieces 24-48 hours, refrigerate.
- Remove rabbit from marinade, blot dry, lard pieces with bacon slices, rub pieces with oil and ground seasonings.
- Layer remaining bacon on bottom of roaster, place rabbit pieces on top, pour 1/2 cup of marinade and bake in preheated oven at 350F/180C, basting with pan juices until rabbit is soft.
- Serve baked rabbit pieces covered with bread crumbs and sprinkled with melted butter.
- A sauce made with pan juices and sour cream is served together and mashed potatoes and stewed beets.