Escoveitch: A variation on ceviche, the raw fish in lime juice popular in Latin American cuisine.
- 2 lbs any whole small fish or filets
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- 1 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt; pinch of sugar
- 1 cup cup julienned strips of carrot and chocho (chayote)*
- 1 hot pepper, such as Scotch Bonnet, cut in rings
- 1 large onion, cut in rings
- 6 pimento (allspice) berries
- After you have washed fish, squeeze lime into rince water to reduce fishiness. Dust with flour and fry. Set aside.
- Boil together water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and cook briefly. Pour sauce over fish and leave to marinate in the refrigerator 4-24 hours before serving.