- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb. ) rice
- 500 g mutton or beef
- 1 kg (36 oz.) carrots
- 4 onions
- 350 g vegetable oil
- cumin seeds
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat oil until white smoke appears.
- Add sliced onions and sear in oil until reddish-brown.
- Cut meat in pieces and saute with onions.
- After a few minutes put in carrot strips and cook until golden.
- Add water, salt, and spices and stew for 20-25 min.
- Add rice and more water.
- Just 1-1.5 cm above surface of rice.
- Cook uncovered until water evaporates.
- Cover and cook on low heat 20-25 min. or until done.