Yield 8 servings.
- 1 cup Small fava beans, rinsed
- 8 cup Water
- 2 med Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 3 med Onions, diced
- 4 x Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 28 oz Stewed tomatoes, canned
- 19 oz Cooked chickpeas, with liquid
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pch Cayenne pepper, or to taste
- A hot vegetarian country-style Arab soup.
- Bring the fava beans and water to a boil in a large pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for an hour and a half, then add the potatoes and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onions until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and coriander and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the contents of the frying pan with the remaining ingredients to the fava beans and bring to a boil. Simmer over a medium heat for 30 minutes. Serve piping hot.
- THE FAVA BEANS should be the small Egyptian type about the size of a pea. They can be found in Middle Eastern stores in the large cities of North America. Navy beans may be substituted; in fact, though not traditional, they make an equally delicious soup.