- ½ pound smoked ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 seasoning peppers (or substitute 2 Yellow Wax Hots), seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ Congo pepper (Habanero), seeds and stem removed
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine including the tops
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 large breadfruit, peeled and cut into 8 sections (or substitute canned breadfruit)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the ham in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the ham is tender, skimming off any foam that rises. Drain the ham and set it aside.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions, peppers, garlic, Congo pepper, green onions, and thyme for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the coconut milk, heat, and then add the breadfruit sections, the ham, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the breadfruit has absorbed all the coconut milk. Serve hot.