* 750 g (1 lb 8 oz) mixed meats, cubed
* 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) fried fish or salt fish
* 1 large, dry coconut
* 1,5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) mixed root vegetables, peeled and chopped
* 400 g (1 lb) pumpkin or okras
* 2 onions, peeled and left whole or sliced
Put mixed meats in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, put saltfish to soak in water. If fresh fish is used, it may be fried or placed on top of the vegetables about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Grate the coconut. Pour on 500 ml (1 pt) water. Squeeze well through a damp cloth. Add coconut milk to saucepan. Add root vegetables to saucepan, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Drain saltfish and remove skin and bones. Add saltfish to saucepan, together with onions and pumpkin or okras. Simmer, covered, for another 15-20 minutes, or until coconut milk has been absorbed.
Serve hot with dumplings (see recipe), added about 8-10 minutes before the completion of cooking.