Serves: 4 or 5
- 3 finely chopped medium Onions
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground Ginger and Garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Cooking Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon of Cooking Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Soya Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Hot Water
- 2lb Minced Lamb or Beef
- 6 cups of Self-Raising Flour
- Cold Water
1.Add the cold water to the flour a little at a time.
2.Knead the dough for about 4-5 minutes.
3.Leave the dough to stand for a while at room temperature. 1.Add the hot water, chopped onion, oil, salt and spices to the mince and mix them well.
2.Roll out the dough as thin as possible (on a well floured surface) and cut them into 4 inch rounds.
3.Put 2 teaspoons of the meat mixture on the round and flatten it down a little.
4.Put another round on top and pinch the edges together tightly.
5.Deep fry the sha-balé in moderately hot oil (only cook a few at a time).
6.Drain thoroughly on kitchen roll.
7.Sha-balé can also be shallow fried on a low gas (but remember to fry the mince and onions first).
8.Serve the sha-balé hot with chilli sauce.