- 500 g Cleaned whole fish
- 1 Medium onion, sliced lengthways
- 4 cloves Garlic, sliced lengthways
- 1 teaspoon Finely shredded fresh ginger
- 5 Whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 Fresh green chili
- Vinegar as needed
- Have fish cleaned and scaled with head, fins and tail removed.
- Wash well, put in a casserole dish with a lid and scatter the onion, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and salt over the fish.
- Put the chili on top and add vinegar to just cover the fish.
- Cover the casserole with lid and seal with a thick dough of flour and water to prevent moisture escaping.
- Put in a very slow oven at 112oC (225oF) and cook for six hours.
- This method of cooking helps to soften the bones.
Hilsa, a very rich and bony fish, is used for this dish in Burma, Substitute with herrings, mackerel or similar fish.