A while back I had a recipe for Khorkhog, which was listed as a mongolian festival dish. The book doesn't say how old the recipe is, but it consits of the following:
- 1 Lamb cut into small pieces still on the bone
- 1 basket of onions chopped coarsley
- seasonings to taste (also needed is a large urn and many small stones that have been heated in a fire) rice
- cooking broth
- Mix the lamb pieces and onions together. fill the urn with alternating layers of the lamb mixture and the hot stones until full, cover the urn and leave it alone for a few hours.
- When finished, remove stones, scoop out lamb and onion mixture and serve over rice with cooking broth.
- I've made this on several of our saturday night gaming sessions, although I cheated. I used boneless lamb, and baked it in a covered caserole dish at 350 for 75 minutes.