Serves : 12
- 625 g (22 oz) medium-sized prawns
- 170 g (6 oz) pork fat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4.5 litres (8 pints) water ]
- 625 g (22 oz) pork ribs, cut into pieces ]
- 1 pig's tail, cut into pieces ]
- 310 g ( 11 oz) lean pork ]
- 2 teaspoons salt ] = [A]
- 2 teaspoons sugar ]
- 2 teaspoons msg ]
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns ]
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce ]
- 2 teaspoons dark soya sauce ]
- 1 tablespoon crispy shallots
- 45 5 g ( 16 oz) bean sprouts
- 310 g ( 11 oz) water convolvulus, cut into long pieces
- 625 g (22 oz) fresh yellow noodles
- 310 g ( 11 oz) rice vermicelli , scalded
- Wash and drain prawns. Remove heads and keep aside.
- Cut pork fat into small cubes and fry in pan till brown . Remove to a bowl .
- Stir-fry prawn heads with 2 tablespoons oil for five minutes till colour turns red . Set aside in a bowl, for soup.
- Cook unshelled prawns for 2 minutes in basin with 4.5 litres water. Remove prawns, shell and slice into halves, lengthwise.
- Return prawn shells to saucepan, add [A] and prawn heads. Cook over a very high heat for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let soup simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain soup. Return pork ribs and tail to soup.
- Slice lean pork and set aside.
- 55 g (2 oz) crispy shallots
- Lard Oil ? I haven't tried this. If you do, let me know how it goes...
- Crispy cubed pork fat
- 5 red chillies, sliced thinly
- 5 green chillies, sliced thinly
- Light soya sauce
- Boil a saucepan of water.
- Dip a handful of bean sprouts, water con- volvulus, noodles, and rice verrniceili in the boiling water, using a wire-mesh ladle. Drain and place in bowl .
- Add boiling soup and a few pieces of pork ribs , tail , sliced lean pork and sliced prawns to each bowl .
- Garnish with crispy shallots, lard-oil and crispy fat cubes. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve with sliced chillies and light soya sauce .
Only very fresh prawns make a sweet soup.