- 1 kg (2lb) Raw shrimps
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 2 Large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Dried shrimp powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste or sauce
- Shell and de-vein the shrimps.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan and cook onions and garlic over low heat until soft and golden brown.
- When oil begins to appear around edges, add chili powder, salt, paprika and turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
- Then add dried shrimp powder and the raw shrimps, stir and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and tomato paste and cook uncovered for a few minutes longer until gravy is dark reddish brown, thick and dry enough to coat the shrimps.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- As an appetizer, these devilled shrimps are delicious on small squares of fried bread.