350 g Brisket or offal
2 liters Water
2 Salam leaves (or bay leaves as substitute)
1 cm Galangal, bruised
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 clove Garlic, finely sliced, fried
75 g White soybeans, blanched, cooled
200 g White radish, peeled and sliced
2 Spring onions, finely sliced
2 sprigs Chinese parsley, finely sliced
2 tablespoons Fried shallots
15 Bird's eye chilies, boiled, ground
1 tablespoon Water
1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
Sweet soy sauce
- Combine all the ingredients for spicy sauce and mix well.
- Boil beef with salam leaves, galangal and salt until tender.
- Remove beef from the pot, reserving 1 1/2 liters stock.
- Cut the beef into 1 cm cubes, and add to the stock.
- Add pepper and fried garlic.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add radish to beef stock and simmer until cooked.
- Drain soybeans and add a dash of salt.
- Fry until golden brown and dry, then drain.
- Serve soup garnished with spring onion, Chinese parsley, fried soybeans and fried shallots.
- Serve with spicy sauce, sweet soy sauce and slices of lime.