Make these savory appetizer bundles of lamb and feta up to a day ahead, then cook in the microwave oven in minutes.
- 3/4 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint or oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano,crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 of a 16-ounce jar grape leaves (20 leaves), drained and well rinsed
- Olive oil
- Lemon wedges
1. In a medium skillet cook ground lamb or beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until lamb is no longer pink. Remove from heat; drain off fat. Stir in feta cheese, mint or oregano, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place a grape leaf on a clean work surface, shiny side down and stem end toward you. Place 1 level tablespoon of filling about 1/2 inch from the bottom edge of each leaf. Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling, overlapping slightly. Starting at the bottom edge, roll up the leaf and place, seam side down, in a 2-quart square microwave-safe baking dish. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Cover the baking dish and chill until needed or heat and serve immediately.
3. To heat, add 1 tablespoon water to the baking dish. Brush grape leaf bundles lightly with olive oil. Cover and micro-cook on 100% power for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through, turning dish once. (For a low-wattage oven, micro-cook bundles on high power for 5 to 6 minutes, rearranging once.) Serve immediately with lemon wedges. Makes 20 bundles (2 per serving).
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare bundles as directed. Cover the baking dish and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, micro-cook as directed.