- 2 scallions - use white part only and crushed with the side of a knife
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs salt
- 2 tbs plus 4 teaspoons Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 1 large fish head or fish carcass - split down the center
- 1 qt water
- 1/2 cup canned sliced sour bamboo
- 1/4 fresh pineapple - sliced
- 2 tbs mixed chopped coriander and scallion green
- Sprinkle the scallions, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 4 teaspoons fish sauce over the fish head.
- Allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil and drop in the sour bamboo and pineapple slices. Cook at a lively boil for 5 minutes.
- Drop fish head into the actively boiling water and, keeping at a boil, add the 2 tablespoons fish sauce and salt.
- Boil the fish head for a total of 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a soup tureen, sprinkle on the coriander and scallion green, and serve.