This is a very tasty dish that combines fresh, Littleneck clams with chopped spicy salami sausage. I used a sopressatta Calabrese sausage, but you could also use any Italian dry sausage like pepperoni. This dish is quick to put together and as long as your clams are very fresh you cannot miss. Be sure to offer lots of crusty Italian bread to sop up the delicious juice!
by Deborah Mele
- 3 Pounds Small Clams (Littleneck Work well)
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Clam Juice Or Fish Stock
- 3/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Strained Tomatoes
- 3 Ounces Chopped Dry Spicy Italian Sausage (See Notes Above)
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, chopped sausage and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the clam juice, wine, and tomato sauce and cook until reduced to about 2 cups.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the clams, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the clams have opened.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add the fresh parsley and shake the pot to combine.
- Ladle the clams and juice equally into individual bowls and serve hot.