Ready in: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
- 4-6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Boil in water or steam brussels sprouts for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Split one open to see if it has cooked to the middle.
- Strain and place in a bowl of ice water to keep the color bright green.
- Cut into halves.
- Sauté onions in 2-3 Tbsp of butter in a wide sauté pan until the onions are translucent.
- Add the brussels sprout halves and 2-3 Tbsp more of butter and cook on medium high heat for several more minutes, until the sprouts have reached your desired level of doneness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste while the sprouts are cooking.
- Whatever you do, do not over-cook, as the sprouts will be bitter.
- Remove from heat, toss in half of the toasted slivered almonds and the lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Put into serving dish and garnish with the rest of the toasted almonds.