Estimated cooking time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours
- 1 kilo beef, cut into chunks
- 1 big can (350g) liver spread or ground liver
- 5 onions, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 3 red peppers, diced
- 4 pieces hot chilli peppers, minced
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups beef stock or water
- 1/4 cup cooking or olive oil
- In a casserole, sauté: garlic and onions in oil. Then add tomatoes, red & green pepper and chilli peppers.
- Add in the beef, tomato sauce, liver spread and water or stock. Salt to taste and let simmer for at least 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add cheese and olives (optional) and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with plain rice
- Instead of beef, goat's meat (kambing) can be used. If goat's meat is used, marinate the meat in vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper for at least 15 minutes.
- For a special kaldereta, do not use water or beef stock. Use an equivalent weight of onions to the beef (1 kg of onions : 1 kg of beef). The onions will serve as water to the dish.