It is always best to soak the fish for twenty four hours in fresh water, changing occasionally.
For 4 persons.
- 1 pike (1-1½ kilos)
- 1 bayleaf, and some peppercorns
- 1 carrot, 1 onion, and some celery
- 50 gr. Butter
- 1 handful sorrel and chervil
- a bunch of parsley and some chives, pepper and salt
- ¼ litre sweet cream
- Boil the vegetables and spices for 45 minutes to produce a stock to which a glass of Riesling should be added.
- While this is being done, clean and descale the fish.
- Put the stock in the fish kettle, and place the fish on the riddle therein.
- Bring to the boil and continue to cook, with the lid on, for about an hour.
- During this time butter a casserole and lightly cook the sorrel and chervil on a low heat.
- Pour in half a cup of stock, add the cream and boil for a short time. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the poached fish on a pre-heated plate. Mix the freshly chopped parsley and chives into the sauce, and immediately pour it over the fish.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and a green salad.