- 6 midium size leeks
- 1/4 cups oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon pounded Maldive fish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash leeks very well, taking care to remove all sand and grit.
- Discard any tough or withered leaves but use the green portions as well.
- With a sharp knife slice very thinly.
- When slicing the leaves make a tight bundle and hold firmly.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add the leeks.
- Fry, stirring, for 5 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The leeks will reduce considerably in volume. Uncover and cook until liquid evaporates and leeks have an oily appearance.
- Serve as an accompaniment to a rice meal.