Serves 2 to 3.
- one 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, thoroughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 cup cake flour
- Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon juice, then rub in the garlic and sprinkle on the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- When ready to cook the chicken, heat about 5 inches of oil to 340-degree in a wok or deep pot.
- While the oil is heating, dip the chicken in the flour briefly, shaking off any excess flour.
- Fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken pieces from the oil with tongs and drain them on paper towels. Eat immediately.