- 8 oz. Stew beef
- 1 large carrot - peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes - peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp. Bajan Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp. Gravy browning
- 2 tbsp. Tomato ketchup
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain rice soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup pigeon peas soaked in water overnight - if possible use the canned variety and then you will need 1 cup.
- 1 oz. Salt pork
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 4 cups water
For the stew:
- Wash and cut beef into bite sized pieces then rub with the Bajan Seasoning and Tomato Ketchup.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and stir fry the meat for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the gravy browning and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot and potatoes, adjust the seasonings with a little seasoned salt, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add a little more water if necessary.
For the rice:
- Place the peas, salt pork and the thyme in a pan with 4 cups water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Wash and drain rice and add to the pan.
- Pour in enough water to just be level with the rice and peas mixture.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to its lowest level, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or u.